Blueberry Oatmeal w/ Flax for 1
Monica Salafia, Dietetic Intern
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 Blueberry herbal tea bag to steep in the water
- ½ cup dry old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp. Flax Meal
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- Blueberries for garnish
- Pour 1 cup of hot water into a bowl (or mug).
- Place blueberry herbal tea bag in the bowl and allow enough time for tea to infuse the water (about 1 minute). Remove before adding in dry oats.
Add in ½ cup of dry oats and stir gently.
- Add in 1 tsp. cinnamon and stir.
- Add in flax meal, blueberries… ENJOY!
Nutrition Facts: (Recipe w/ 1 Tbsp. Flax Meal)
- Calories: 185
- Carbohydrates: 31g
- Fiber: 7g
- Fat: 5g
- Protein: 8g
No time to make this in the morning? Make it at work with a 5-cup coffee maker:
Equipment: 1 5-Cup Coffee Maker, 1 bowl, mug, or to-go container, Spoon
Ingredients: Hot Water + Tea Bag (or Lucy Joe’s Coffee) + Oats + Extras
- Pour Water into Coffee maker as if you were making coffee. Turn on coffee maker and place a tea bag into the coffee pot. Measure ½ cup dry oats into a bowl.
- Pour the tea into the container with the dry oats and briefly stir so contents are evenly mixed.
- Allow enough time for oats to undergo gelatinization (absorbing the water converting the starches into gelatinous compounds). When they appear larger and swollen you are ready to go!
- Studies have shown light to moderate caffeine consumption increases focus and concentration, but too much can over do it. Five hundred milligrams or fewer of caffeine each day is the recommended limit to get its benefits without the jitters.